Hugh M. Robert
Hugh M. Robert focuses on complex litigation cases including business transactions, business torts, business dissolution, nursing home negligence, real estate transactions, and condemnation. He also represents and works with non-profit foundations and organizations advising them on state and federal compliance issues, policy and procedure best practices, intellectual property and licensing, and board governance issues. Hugh serves as outside general counsel to businesses of varying sizes handling contracts, business acquisitions, real estate transactions, human resources matters, and risk assessments. He has experience helping individuals with estate planning needs and assessments for asset protection, tax planning, and overall strategizing for business succession. Hugh does private mediations on various types of cases including business torts, business disputes, business dissolutions, contract disputes, personal injury, and non-profit/homeowner’s association disputes. He also serves as an Adjunct Settlement Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District.
While at the University of Tulsa College of Law, he served as Articles Editor for the peer-reviewed Energy Law Journal. He was a member of the Phi Delta Phi honors fraternity. He was on the Dean's honor roll, received the Outstanding Service Award from the Law & Medicine Society, Phi Delta Phi Professional Responsibility Award, and Cali Awards (highest grade) in Mental Health Disability Law, Civil Procedure, Pre-Trial Practice, and Professional Responsibility. He also received the Martin H. Belsky Award in Public Interest Law for his demonstrated commitment in the areas of public service, diversity, religious respect and promotion of constitutional values in 2008.
Hugh is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating from this national attorney rating service.
- University of Tulsa, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
- University of Tulsa College of Law
- Georgetown Law, Representing and Managing Tax Exempt Organizations
Publications & Presentations
- "Pitfalls of Prosecuting Premises Liability Claims Against Tribal Casinos" in The Oklahoma Bar Journal, Vol. 92, No. 6, August 2021, pgs 16-19.
- Crisis Management for Every Nonprofit, Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits (2019)
- "Non-profits, what is your exposure" presentation to the Tulsa County Bar Association (2013, 2018)
- "Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT): What Is It and Why Should My Exempt Organizational Clients Care?" in The Oklahoma Bar Journal, Vol. 83, No. 14, May 19, 2012, pgs 1237-1240
- Lessons of Prudhoe Bay: An Examination of Low-Stress Pipelines Regulations, American Bar Association Energy Committee Newsletter (Vol. 5, No. 3, p. 10-13, June 2008).
- “Hot Coffee, A Review of the Hot Documentary of the Summer,” Advocate (the Journal of the Oklahoma Association for Justice), vol. 42, no. 3, Fall 2011
- “Ballot Initiative,” Advocate, vol. 41, no. 3, Fall 2010
- "A Thumbnail of Prospective v. Retroactive Application," Advocate, vol. 41, no.1, Spring 2010
- “Election 2010: How and Why to Be Involved?” Advocate, vol. 40, no. 1, Winter 2009.
- “Involuntary Representation” presentation to the American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group (Sept. 2010)
- “Proving Common Nursing Home Claims- Pressure Ulcers, Falls, and Wandering”); presented to the Oklahoma Bar Association Nursing Home Litigation CLE on Nov. 2010
- “Medicine for Lawyers” presentation at the Tulsa County Bar Association 2011
- Regularly teaches Elder Law as an adjunct professor at the University of Tulsa College of Law
- Tulsa World’s One of Tulsa's 10 people to watch in 2015
- Oklahoma Bar Association Outstanding Service Award to the Public Award, 2015
- Tulsa County Bar Association Roger Scott Community Service Award, 2014-15
- Tulsa Business & Legal News "Power Attorney" in 2013
- Iron Gate’s Volunteer of the Year award and volunteer under 40 award in 2011
- The University of Tulsa College of Law Distinguished Young Alumni in 2010
- Co-founder and Board President of Lawyers Fighting Hunger, Inc. a 501 (c)(3) foundation that raises money to help feed the hungry.
- Parkside Psychiatric Hospital and Clinic Board of Directors
- Kappa Sigma Endowment Fund Secretary
- Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Association for Justice
- Board of Directors Theatre Tulsa (2016-2021)
- President of the Alumni Board for the University of Tulsa College of Law (2017-2018)
- Board of directors of Iron Gate (2012-2018)
- CLE Chair for the Hudson Hall Wheaton Inns of Court (2011-2017)
- President on the International Board of Directors of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity (2013-2015)
Admissions & Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- All Federal Courts in Oklahoma (Northern, Western, and Eastern Districts)
- Tribal Courts: Cherokee, Cheyenne and Arapaho Trial Court, Chickasaw, Osage, Choctaw, Muscogee (Creek), Potawatomi and Quapaw
- Tulsa County Bar Association